Saint Teresa’s Catholic Church
Parking is available in the church carpark, just off High Street.
Mass & Devotions
Sunday: Mass at 9.00am
Wednesday: 7.00pm until 7.25pm, during Exposition.
Also available on request
Saint Teresa of the Child Jesus was born in 1873. At the age of 15 she entered a Carmelite convent having had a profound experience of the presence of Christ on Christmas Day 1886. Saint Teresa never left her convent and wrote nothing but her journal, published posthumously under the title of ‘Story of a Soul.’ She died on 30 September 1897, at just 24 years of age. Her writings, that became known as her ‘little way,’ would go on to shape the entire church. St Teresa had discovered in her self the very heart of the Church, that love is at the centre of the church. Love is the ground of all vocations, and her vocation was to be the beating heart of the Church lovingly contemplating God and praying all the time for others.
She was canonised in 1925 by Pope Pius XI and declared a Doctor of the Church by Pope Saint John Paul II on 19 October 1997. As well as being our patron she is patron saint of missionaries, HIV sufferers, florists, gardeners, loss of parents and tuberculosis sufferers. Her feast is kept on 1 October.
About the church
The church is located on a raised, sloping site, allowing for the parish hall to be located beneath it. There is level access to the church from the car park at the Clumber Street entrance, as well as stepped pedestrian access from High Street. The church is roughly square on plan, with ancillary spaces giving off the main worship area. The Catholic community in Warsop was formed as part of the St Joseph’s Parish, Shirebrook. Mass was celebrated in a local pub and then in a hut close to where St Theresa’s Church now stands. Fr Joseph Henry was responsible for building the church and, on 20th February 1974, the Church of St Theresa’s was solemnly consecrated by Bishop Edward Ellis. The Presentation Sisters, now resident at St Joseph’s Shirebrook, have long had a relationship with the parish, and form an integral part of the life of the community.
The internal worship space is a single volume with a varnished pine boarded ceiling following the lines of the roof, which appears to hover lightly over the main space and clerestory lights. The walls are plastered. There is a projecting screen wall at the back of the sanctuary, faced in white tiles of geometrical pattern. The altar and tabernacle stand are of matching blue-grey marble. In the southeast corner there is a baptistery with sunken floor, side-lit by tall slender windows and with an octagonal font, also of blue-grey marble.